Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Inefficiency adds up.

It's that time of year: tax time. I'm a bit old fashioned in that I like to actually mail in a physical copy of my return.  I sat down to finalize my forms yesterday when I noticed something interesting about the Kentucky state forms versus the federal form.

As I was getting ready to mail my federal form, there were two stickers that had the mailing address of where I'd be sending my forms. One sticker was for those enclosing a payment the other for those filing for a refund.

The Kentucky return book came with two large envelopes; one for returns and one for payments. Now, this may seem a bit silly however, I find it to be a perfect example inefficiency.

Now, I'm not in the office supply business but I am willing to bet that it is much less expensive to send citizens one small envelope with a couple stickers than it is to include two large envelopes, one of which is bound to find it's way to the trash can. The inefficiencies add up and the taxpayers are the ones who are footing the bill.

Governor Beshear asked for state workers to submit ideas on how the state can save money and many of them contributed commonsense, simple ideas that combined would save the state a lot of money. Not sure if these were taken into consideration but you can view those suggestions here.

No comments: